Thursday, October 1, 2015

Audience of the 1960s Lingerie Ad

For the Warners "Floating Bra Corselette" lingerie ad, the targeted audience are middle-age women. These women are looking to feel sexy and "free" - as quoted on the ad itself. Using a woman who appears to be around the same age, will give the targeted customers a sense of hope to achieve the beauty that the woman in the ad displays. In the 60s, the feminist movement was prevalent, and this ad plays into that by showing a woman being "free", and not being restricted. The targeted middle-age women will be knowledgable of this feminist movement; some may even be apart of it. This correlation ties into the women buying the product as they enjoy the ad and how it displays the woman.

5 comments:

  1. I think you did a great job connecting the ad to what was going on within the feminist movement, and elaborating on what the word "free" meant in the ad and to the audience. However, I would explain that the ad is targeted to middle-age women earlier in the post. At first I was unsure of who the audience was when you said "appears to be around the same age...the targeted customers..." Otherwise I think you did a great job explaining the audience and giving more background about the ad.

    - Emily Kader

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a great job connecting the ad to what was going on within the feminist movement, and elaborating on what the word "free" meant in the ad and to the audience. However, I would explain that the ad is targeted to middle-age women earlier in the post. At first I was unsure of who the audience was when you said "appears to be around the same age...the targeted customers..." Otherwise I think you did a great job explaining the audience and giving more background about the ad.

    - Emily Kader

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you really managed to capture the main audience for this advertisement. But what about younger girls? I know my sister would look through fashion magazines, so who's to say that younger girls didn't look through these fashion machines? Maybe the younger girls wanted to be more like their mothers and would then go and try to emulate the ideals presented in this advertisement. I do think that you are absolutely right when it comes to saying that this woman is displayed as "free." She is flying around in the sky, her hair is billowing out all around her and she appears to be very relaxed. I think that you really picked up on the kairotic elements to this audience analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree the audience is middle aged women, but I also think this ad can speak to younger women. Younger women look to this ad as what they want to be like when they're older and what they want to look like. It gives them expectations of what they should be and how they should look, whether it is realistic or not. Although the younger generations may not be as aware of the feminist movements, they will see these ads and create their own opinions about them, whether they have previous knowledge or not.
    -Julia Shultz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the comments above, I also agree that although you pretty much hit the nail on the head with the target audience of the ad in the 60s, it might target younger women as well in their 20s or 30s, as the message of "feeling sexy" could apply to those age groups as well.

    ReplyDelete